Wednesday, October 30, 2013

THE SNAIL


Stuck up on the inside of the shutter,
on my fist floor,
it has climbed and climbed
I suppose, slowly up on another
Mount of Fuji carrying with itself
what’s most holy,
the marvel and endurance
of what perseveres, slowly.
Certainly enjoying the damp
foundations, the mood
of this weather and time.
droplets of lines rising on lines.
 
Now it has been days,
stuck for days, looking like
it has found its own
among the many ways.
I gaze at the glistening
brown of its home,
will it last on the shutter
through the winter?
Well, it’s on the inside,
just  like a gaze staring in
and asking for what
we all ask for:
a bit of lastingness
and praise.

 
I dedicate this poem to my colleague and friend, and poet writing in Venetian dialect, Andrea Longega,  to whom I have first spoken of this snail during the umpteenth tired and tiring journey on a tiresome train back from school towards Venice.
Half amused, hearing about the snail he exclaimed (in an impossible to describe Venetian tone) : “And now you are going to write a poem on it, we can’t expect anything different, can we?”

1 comment:

Cait O'Connor said...

This is such a great poem. I can see the snail and feel how he is feeling.

'it has climbed and climbed I suppose, slowly up on another Mount of Fuji carrying with itself what’s most holy, the marvel and endurance of what perseveres, slowly.'

Lovely.